Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sweet Potato Salad



Winter salads can be challenging.  In the height of summer, grocery stores are full of delicious looking produce.  The produce that is available in the middle of March is less than inspiring.  I find myself wandering around the produce section looking for salad inspiration.  I was at Trader Joe's recently, trying to figure out what kind of new salad I could possibly make when these organic sweet potatoes caught my eye.  I love sweet potatoes and I love how good they are roasted and added to a spinach salad.  Inspiration found.

There is no actual recipe for this salad but I will  tell you how it all came together.








Start with a couple of organic sweet potatoes.







Peel and cube the potatoes. Toss with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.


Spread onto a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes at 425.



Prepare a bed of lettuce.  (I used spinach and some butter lettuce.)


Open a can of garbanzo beans, drain and add to salad.


Add cooled sweet potatoes.


Top with a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds.


Stir together a Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette and drizzle over the salad.








A yummy lunch that kept me full for hours.  







I think I have spring fever.  Spring officially begins tomorrow - I can hardly wait.

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment